1.800.871.8158 | Customer Service | Tradeshows | E-mail Sign-up | Login | Account Info | Country/Language 
 
WHAT'S NEW
Woodworking
Gardening
Hardware
Gifts
 
GIFT CARDS
Purchase
Check Balance
 
CATALOGS
Online Catalogs
Catalog Requests
Catalog Quick Shop
Library App
 
WISH LISTS
My Wish List
Registry
 
EXPLORE
Videos
Newsletters
Articles
Letters
Past Catalog Covers
 
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Order Status
Shipping
Guarantee
Returns
Help
 
COMPANY INFO
About Us
Store Locations
Events
Privacy & Security Statement
Terms of Use
Contact Us
 
 
Lee Valley - Facebook Lee Valley - Twitter Lee Valley - YouTube Lee Valley - Pinterest




     
1990/91 Catalog Cover   1990/91 Woodworking Customer Letter
 
Print Catalog Cover
 
Dear Customer,

This is the year of GST. You will see reminders throughout the catalogue that our prices will be changing on January 1, 1991. Despite what you hear or suspect about price levels, the impact will not be felt on most of our products.

For about 75% of the items in this catalogue, you will pay about the same on January 2nd as you did on December 31st. Of the other 25%, some will go down less than the amount of the GST (therefore they will cost more) and others, books in particular, will cost you 7% more because they are not taxable now but become taxable when the GST replaces the current federal sales tax.

This is one of the biggest tax changes in our history. Unfortunately, politicians generally are not making it a smooth implementation. The federal government is pretending that initial regulations are perfect. They aren't, of course, because they were developed without consulting the afflicted.

The provincial premiers are pretending that they don't have to be involved. They will succumb one by one until we see co-ordination of GST and provincial sales tax in most provinces by the spring of '91.

It could have been so much easier if we had more statesmen and fewer politicians.

On a more positive note, as the cold weather approaches, our woodworking shops make the winter more bearable, even enjoyable. In my own case, I don't even have to design any new woodworking projects. I have all the leftover ones from last year that didn't get completed.

Good health to all.

Leonard G. Lee
President

P.S. The blue dots (like this ) throughout the catalogue indicate product new to this catalogue.

 
 


HOME  |  WOODWORKING  |  GARDENING  |  HARDWARE  |  GIFTS
1
© Copyright 1998 to 2014 Lee Valley Tools Ltd. and Veritas Tools Inc. All rights reserved.