Kimberley planes featured here are an example of an innovative
approach to the particular problem; they each have a cast-iron
section, which allegedly eliminated the ever-present cheek blowout
and cracking commonly found on larger wooden planes. Manufactured
in three sizesof which the smoother and trying plane
are shownthey have a cast-iron insert in the area where
the wedge is placed. This receiver does not go down to the
bottom of the plane stock. It appears that only one size of
casting was used for all three plane sizes. Wooden screws
secured the insert at the front and back.
The try plane is marked with "D. Kimberley & Sons
Warranted" and has the company's distinctive trademark
stamp on the toe. On the main body by the blade insert is
the marking "Patent", which appears under an overenthusiastic
previous owner's name marking. The smoother is unmarked. Somewhat
scarce and definitely collectable, these planes do show up
at auction from time to time.
Founded in 1854 by David Kimberley of Birmingham, England,
the company carried on trading as late as 1908, after which
Wynn & Timmins & Co. took it over. Prior to 1876, it
is thought that D. Kimberley & Sons manufactured only
conventional wooden planes. The Kimberley Company produced
at least four variants of wood-metal alliances; these planes
are one example of their obscure designs and claimed patents.
At this time, the specific design papers or patents for these
planes could not be found.