unnecessary, such as lower stretchers between the seat and the rockers.
two years ago, I began what was to be my most challenging
woodworking project to datea Mission-style rocking
chair. I incorporated design ideas from a variety of sources
including a published plan, a few existing chairs and
a photo of an antique rocker I found online. The chair
was a wedding gift for my sister, but both my wife and
I found we missed it after giving it away. So, about a
I began my second rocker.
I started with the same basic design as my previous rocking
chair and even used many of the same measurements. However,
I made some minor design modifications to add comfort, such as a taller back, and removed a few elements I found structurally
author's Mission-style rocking chair.
This rocker was made using walnut and cherry and several key
parts were resawn and bookmatched to show symmetrical grain
patterns. These design changes were interesting, but I specifically
wanted to challenge myself with this second rocker by trying
some new techniques, rather than just making a copy of the first
one using different woods. I decided to incorporate more complex
joinery, most of which was not used in the construction of the
first rocker, and some of which I had never tried on a furniture
piece. This did indeed result in a challenging project, which
took at least as long to build as the first rocker. However,
it also resulted in a very rewarding process and turned out
to be one of my favorite projects so far.