Next, I cut a rabbet in the backs of the pulls to correspond
with the drawer fronts' thickness and then planed down to my
desired depths. When I was satisfied with the look, I crosscut
the pieces to length and cleaned up the ends on a shooting board.
I never trim small pieces like this on a power tool, as they
can easily break off, jam the tool and cause serious injury.
I then did a trial fit and made the necessary adjustments.
next step was to cut the rabbets in the drawer tops for the
new pulls. I found it easiest to lay each pull on its drawer
top, tape it into place, scribe a line at the ends and then
remove it. I set a marking gauge to the exact thickness of the
rabbeted side of each pull and then transferred this depth to
each drawer front's top. This was also a good time to trim the
pull flush to the inside back edge of the drawer front. Again,
I safely accomplished this on my shooting board.
up the ends using a shooting board.
cut the recesses, I started with a wide chisel and cut across
the grain making a series of cuts along the entire length of
the rabbets. Then, using a small router plane and some detail
chisels, I cleaned out the waste. I checked the recesses for
square and tried each handle, with the goal being a tight fit
for each pull.
the marking gauge.
cut in one of the drawer tops.